Friday, March 20, 2009

Revenge is Sweet (and tastes like basil)

Which plant looks the saddest? Ok, besides all of them. Heather is not much of a gardener. But she's also not that bright, either. Case in point: Last night she and Craig left the house at 5:50 p.m. and she didn't feed me dinner. Do you need a reminder? My dinner is at 6 p.m. Not 7:30 p.m. or "whenever we get home." No, 6 p.m. And it wasn't like they had an emergency. They left to go running. How easy would it have been to take one minute and feed me dinner? Jeez!

7:30 p.m. Boy was I mad! I had to teach her a lesson. So I jumped onto the counter and I walked over to the plants on the sill. Then I bit off the leaves of Heather's basil plant. Ha! See if you make that stinky pesto now! But then, I heard the noise - the garage door opener. Shoot! I couldn't let them find me on the counter. Heather would spray me with that awful water bottle!

And that led to my grand finale. In my haste to get off the counter I knocked the plants into the sink with a loud crash. The noise made me jump and I landed on a pile of clean dishes. Aah! A couple of them started to fall onto me and I scrambled out of their way so they wouldn't knock me over. I think I released fur all over them (don't worry, I just gave myself a bath).

The next thing I knew Craig had run into the house at Heather's urging. He looked around and saw me (looking perfectly innocent, I must say) and scooped me into his arms. We walked out to the garage and I listened quietly while Craig chastised Heather. "You freaked me out. A crash. It was nothing. I don't know what you heard but there's no problem. Stop freaking me out. I thought something was really wrong." Thank goodness the innocent look stayed on my face the whole time.

Heather insisted she heard a crash (damn her!) and the three of us walked into the kitchen (uh-oh, here it comes) and that's when they saw it. The plants in the sink. Dishes all over the counter. And fur everywhere.

How did I manage to stay out of trouble? Guilt. They felt so bad that they hadn't fed me in advance that they gave me a short warning and then Heather urged Craig to feed me dinner immediately. All's well that ends well! Though maybe not for the basil plant.

No comments:

Post a Comment