Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Lunchtime Surprise

Here it is 12:30 already and Heather and Craig have yet to remember to feed me lunch. In my attempts to get their attention, I glanced out the sliding glass door and there it was - another kitty. What is that cat doing on my property? Doesn't he know I live here? He was lying on the deck out in the sun, but curled up tight in a little ball to keep warm. Snuggled up against my house.

Craig decided to check out what I was staring at. "Look - a cat! He must be so cold!" The next thing I knew Heather was putting on her jacket and taking food and water - MY food - out to the deck. The cat jumped up and ran towards her and planted his face on the pile of Meow Mix. OK, he had to be hungry because there is no reason to get that excited over some dry kibble. He wolfed it all down and then went after the small crumbs that had fallen between the wood slats.

I took a closer look at him and saw his gray fur was dirty. And it looked like he was recovering from a fight. His ear had a small tear and the fur on his back was just starting to grow back in. And was it my imagination or was he limping a little? Craig and Heather started discussing an abrasion on his back and when my daddy touched his back a big clump of fur fell out.

How could I be angry? Those two are great - they really pamper me. If I were a lonely, homeless cat in 34 degree weather I would search out people like mine too. I just hope they don't let him in. This is still my house. I sat in front of the sliding glass door and watched over him as he curled back in a tight little ball and tried to stay warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment