Friday, March 27, 2009

The Imminent Return of Scruffy Gray

I've been looking out the window, trying to catch sight of Scruffy Gray. I know, I know, he's not here. But I can't stop thinking about him. Probably because Heather and Craig keep talking about him.

Tuesday after Craig left Heather made a call to the Skagit Valley Humane Society and then suddenly got into her car and took off. When she came back a few hours later she had a bag of cat food in one hand (perfect timing 'cause it's past my dinnertime again!) and in the other one was a book titled Cat vs. Cat. Uh oh. I know where this is going. Sigh.

"Tuesday?", you ask. "Isn't it Friday?" Well, yes, but sometimes when something happens I am not happy about I don't always want to talk about it right away. Haven't you ever had that happen to you? And hey - didn't I ask you all to find a home for Scruffy Gray?

I, Giuseppe Gattino, am the house kitty. Scruffy Gray, well, he doesn't really belong here. But it sure looks like Craig and Heather think differently. (I overheard them talking at the dinner table. I pretended I was checking out the kitchen, but I was really trying to listen in.) Craig was less than pleased to find out that Heather filled out the adoption papers for Scruffy without consulting him first. Ahem, how about consulting with me - the house kitty?

It turns out that Scruffy is suffering from an upper respiratory infection at the shelter. His eyes are all icky and he's sneezing and sniffling a lot. I looked up UPIs online and one of the common causes is stress. OK, that makes me feel bad. I can't imagine how I'd feel if I were left at a shelter and forced to live with all those other loud cats and dogs. And then getting sick on top of being stressed and lonely and forced to live in an unsnuggly cage.

Well, if all goes well with his medication and if Scruffy is FIV-, he could be here in 10 days 'or so'. I guess I have some time to think this over. I still don't like it, but maybe he won't be that bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment