Wednesday, April 1, 2009

An Update on Scruffy Gray

I was in the middle of a great afternoon nap when the phone rang. I jumped - like always - and ran over to listen in to the conversation. A woman from the Humane Society wanted to talk to Heather about Scruffy Gray.

I heard that Scruffy has been responding very well to the medication for his URI (upper respiratory infection for you newbies to cat care). His eyes look better and he's feeling better. But, there was something that seemed not quite right, so they were going to give him another look-see at the vet. (Yikes! Just the word makes my hair rise!) Heather panicked and spent all afternoon worrying that Scruffy was on his death bed. A little melodramatic, I'd say, but that's Heather for you.

After hours of fretting, the shelter lady, Janine, called back. Heather and I were playing (OK, I was really trying to convince her to feed me an early dinner-o) and we knew who was on the other end right away. We scrambled to Craig's office so we could hear what Janine was telling Craig. At last, he got off the phone and turned to us, saying with a grin on his face, "Scruffy's going to die tomorrow." Heather was annoyed, because, duh, it was obviously not true. We sat and waited for Craig to stop kidding around. Come on and tell us, Craig, I thought. I want my dinner-o!

Craig told us that Scruffy Gray had suffered a fractured leg a long time ago (it was obvious by his bowed front left leg); he was 8-10 years old - but probably closer to 10, but besides that, he is fine. He has to stay at the shelter for a few more weeks, but then (gulp), he might come here.
Hmm, well, I'd give his coming here some thought, but it's time for my evening nap. Sleep tight, Scruffy Gray!

No comments:

Post a Comment