Thursday, July 30, 2009

Cranky-Spanky

OK, I've just about had it with the heat - and with Craig and Heather. Yes, I'm cranky-spanky. But dealing with the 100 degree+ temperature outside and Heather chasing me around trying to suffocate me with a wet towel did not make me very happy. Not to mention Scruffy's attitude.

Here's how it started. Last week the temp warmed up and Heather realized she couldn't close her office door or she and Scruffers would suffer in the heat. So slowly but surely, Scruffy has had to deal with an open door. I came in to visit and meet him many times those first few days, but now I really don't care what Scruffy does.

So, yesterday: it was supposed to be hot - maybe even hit 97. It was 87 degrees in Seattle at 8:30 in the morning. The fans were turned on and Craig fretted to no end about my well-being. He researched online how to cool off kitties and he found some website that recommended getting a cold, wet towel and wrapping your kitty in it. OK, I don't know about you but that idea sounds cruel. Every time I get wrapped like a kitty burrito in a towel it's to get medicine shoved down my throat or in my eye. And let's not forget that cats don't like to be wet! Hello! And then there's my claustrophobia. Whoever wrote that was a certified idiot.

But no, Heather and Craig had to try it. I had to put up with it 4 times yesterday. If only I had pulled a Scruffy. He took one look at the towel and hissed and swatted at Craig so he only had to deal with it once. Heather didn't dare get scratched.

Then, on top of it all, Scruffy had to find a cool spot to hang out, and where did he choose? Obviously not anywhere downstairs where it was cooler because he's still scared stiff of the evil ceiling fan. And Heather was not about to turn it off to accommodate him. So he ended up lying down in front of the entry to my kitty box room on the tile. So I couldn't go to the bathroom until Heather figured it out and moved my kitty box.
The absolutely worst part about yesterday? It reached 92 degrees inside the house and didn't drop under 90 until 9 p.m. Miserable! At 10:30 last night it was 84 degrees outside. Finally cool enough for me to run around and chase bugs in the yard, but not fun to be inside. I woke up this morning and it was still 86 degrees in Heather and Craig's room.

No comments:

Post a Comment