Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Meet Scruffy, the Tweaker

I'm not sure who came home with Heather yesterday, but it wasn't the Scruffy Gray I know. That Scruffy Gray likes to sleep all day and lie across Heather and Craig's laps as much as possible.
So who's this guy? Scruffy came back from the vet (after getting a tooth surgically extracted) and was a completely different kitty. According to the post-op info sheet, he was supposed to want to stay in his kennel for a few hours and sleep off the morphine. Uh, no. That's not what happened.
Scruffy was thrilled to escape from his kitty carrier, even though he could barely stand. He was swerving around like a drunk trying to walk from room to room. He fell partially into the litter box and then couldn't figure out how to get out. I watched him trip over his own feet and fall over trying to squat down in front of his food bowl. And his pupils were HUGE. Scruffs finally had to resort to lying on his side to give himself his post-dinner bath because he realized he couldn't have three legs on the ground and stay upright to lick the fourth.
He somehow got the hang of walking up and down the stairs (sideways!) and began doing laps around the house, like he was coming down off of a drug high. That started around 5 last night and here it is 8 a.m. and he's still doing laps.
Scruff's attention span isn't so good, either. Just like a tweaker. "What was I doing? Oh yeah, I was hungry, I'd better beg for some food. Oh, the food bowl is full and right in front of me? OK, I'll eat. Wait, what was I doing? I'm hungry, I'd better ask for some food." Last night Heather sat in front of his dinner bowl and tapped it every time Scruffs forgot what he was doing so he could eat his meal.
Me? Yeah, OK, I admit it, I was glad to see him come home. I was pretty worried about Scruffs. He is my brother, you know. Now, it's time for my post-breakfast nap. Watching Scruffy do all these laps around the house is tiring me out.

No comments:

Post a Comment